With the New Year upon us we thought we’d share 10 resolutions you can make to improve your home security. Sometimes a few easy steps are all it takes to keep you safe and secure.
- Remove all flyers from your doorstep right away.
Some burglars will case a home by placing a flyer on the door to see if someone picks it up. Don’t let them build up on your doorstep and arrange for a neighbor to pick them up if you are away.
- Use timers for indoor and outdoor lights.
Automatic timers on lights make your home look occupied and can even be part of your home automation system. Use energy efficient bulbs to keep your energy costs down.
- Don’t leave electronics boxes out on the curb or visible to others.
These boxes are like an advertisement to thieves that you have new goodies in your home. Take these boxes to a recycling center or cut them up in small pieces so they fit securely inside a trash receptacle.
- Don’t post on social media that you’ll be away from your home.
You’d be amazed at the number of home break-ins that happen from trip announcements on social media. Share with your friends all the news about your good time AFTER you get back home.
- Reinforce your door jams if you have weak door frames.
More than 70% of home break-ins come by someone kicking in a door. Watch this video to see how to reinforce your entry doors for under $10.00.
- Secure the sliding glass doors and windows.
Put a wooden dowel or metal rod in the door or window track so they can’t easily be pried open by thieves.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Protect your home and family members from death by smoke, heat or poisonous gas. Monitored smoke and carbon monoxide detectors keep your family safe while summoning the fire department for assistance.
- Get a home security system that allows you to control and monitor your home with your smartphone.
Home security systems are an effective deterrent to crime. Get one that allows you to control home security and home automation functions right from your smartphone and make sure it’s monitored by a reputable alarm monitoring center.
- Make a secret hiding place for your valuables.
Check out this list of 22 do-it-yourself hiding places to keep your stuff.
- Make your security measures known to the bad guys.
Display protective window stickers and yard signs throughout your property so the bad guys know you are secure. Many will simply choose to go to a home they feel is unprotected.
At My Alarm Center, we want 2015 to be a safe and secure year for you and your loved ones. Keep reading this blog for more information and contact us if we can help you.