Space Heater Safety Tips
Furnace/Space Heaters Space heaters can be extraordinarily dangerous and must be used with extreme care in your home. We offer the following recommendations:
- Be sure to have your furnace inspected by a professional prior to the start of every heating season.
- Turn off any space heater when leaving a room.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that might burn, including the wall.
- Do not use extension cords with electrical space heaters because the high amount of current they require could melt the cord and start a fire.
- When lighting a gas space heater, strike your match first before turning on the gas.
- Do not use a gas range as a substitute for a furnace or space heater.
- Do not use combustible materials near a furnace, hot water heater, space heater, etc. such as newspapers, rags, etc.