Home Escape Planning: Creating An Exit Plan
Electrical Safety Tips
Creating an exit plan in the event of a fire is essential. Here are some suggestions:
- Check stairways to make sure they are free of obstructions and combustibles.
- Remove unnecessary items from the attic, basement, garage, and closets.
- It is better to sleep with your door closed. If there is a fire, having the door closed helps hold back heat and smoke. If the door feels hot, do not open it; escape through another door or window.
- Consider purchasing window escape ladders for all bedrooms above ground level.
- Prepare a floor plan of your home showing two escape routes from every room.
- Stay with family members away from the danger. Call 911 from another location.
- Make sure that no one goes back inside a burning building.