Smoke Detector Testing Tips
Test Your System Today To Ensure A Safe Tomorrow
Smoke detectors can be a great defense against smoke related deaths and injuries. However, it is critically important that your smoke detectors be working properly for you to receive the benefits. Here are some recommendations to ensure that you are protected:
- Test every detector at least once a month. [See your instruction book for the location of the test button].
- Make sure smoke detectors are free from dust.
- If your smoke detector is wired into your electrical system, regularly check to see that the signal light is blinking as this will verify that the alarm is active.
- Make sure that you have installed smoke detectors on every level of your home and outside of bedrooms.
- Be sure to replace the batteries in your smoke detector at least once a year, or immediately if the detector makes a chirping sound to alert you that the batteries need to be replaced.