Fireplace Safety Tips
It is essential that you use caution when using your fireplace. We recommend the following to reduce the risks associated with using your fireplace:
- Do not store flammable materials such as newspapers or matches near the fireplace. Do not have an exposed rug or wooden floor in front of the fireplace.
- Arrange for the professional inspection and cleaning of your chimney at the beginning of the winter season so that combustible creosote build-up may be removed if necessary.
- Install a chimney spark arrester to prevent roof fires.
- When lighting a gas fireplace, strike your match first before turning on the gas.
- Use a fireplace screen to prevent sparks from flying.